Monday, March 9, 2009

Exploration One

When conducting my observation I was looking for family stories – the struggles and joys they experienced during the adoption process. I looked at the stories shared by individuals via Facebook. I read shared experiences by all members of the adoption triad – birth parents, adoptee and adoptive parents. The woman, who created the group, did so for people to share their experiences, knowledge and opinions about adoption.

In the most recent posting a man writes, “I think adoption is a really noble cause – to give your love to someone who is not your own blood, just like the way you fall in love with someone and get married. If everyone started adopting instead of having their own kids, the world would be such a better place. Because after all we are all related and Father is one, the Lord.” A very powerful statement! Adoption is a miracle experience for all those fortunate to come in contact.

Many people wrote on the wall attempting to find their birth child after adoption placement, some of these parents clarify their reason for adoption. They pray each day that they made the right decision in giving their child a chance for a better life. To give a child the chance to be happy, to have the life that a parent may not have been able to provide shows a great deal of selflessness and belief. I cannot say what I would do if I was in this situation, but I do know it would be the most difficult decision I have ever had to make in my life.

One woman shares her luck, “My husband and I have been blessed by the miracle of adoption. We brought our son home two and a half years ago; he was only a month old. I cry tears of gratitude when I think of the young woman who helped this miracle happen in our lives. I wonder how scared she must have been, not knowing what to do, how she would feel, etc. She could have taken another road, but she didn’t and I think her each day for making our house a home – a family.” This story is very touching. How fortunate and how blessed this family is.

Couples wishing to adopt will go to large extents to “sell” themselves as adoptive parents. A family may create a website to express how committed they are to the process or create “want-ads”. So many families are ready to share their home filled with unconditional love, acceptance and support with a child. This may be for reasons which are out of their control or just the thought of parenthood without experiencing pregnancy – the importance is the step a couple is taking when considering opening their home and sharing their life with a child who they do not share blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment